Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Fox's Stand

Fox’s Stand- Fox’s Stand was the namesake of Black Fox (Inali, Enoli, or Eunolee), who was the Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation from 1801 to his death in 1811.  Fox’s Creek, also named after Black Fox, is a small tributary to the Tennessee River; the creek flows into the river at the north border of Morgan and Lawrence Counties at the Chickamauga Cherokee Indian site of Mouse Town or Monee Town.  For a while, Black Fox lived in Mouse Town near the mouth of Fox’s Creek on the Tennessee River; the Indian town was some five miles upstream from Doublehead’s Town at Brown’s Ferry in present-day Lawrence County, Alabama.  Later, Black Fox moved some three miles west of Doublehead’s Town; he ran the stand/store on the old Brown’s Ferry Road that ran from Gourd’s Settlement which is present-day Courtland, Alabama, to present-day Huntsville, Alabama.

Black Fox’s Stand or trading post was located on the south side of the Tennessee River between the drainages of Fox and Mallard Creeks; the stand was west of the Browns Ferry crossing of the Tennessee River.  Fox’s Stand was some five miles east of Gourd’s Settlement and some six miles southeast of Melton’s Bluff; Melton’s Bluff was the home of Doublehead’s sister, Ocuma and her husband John Melton.  Fox’s Stand was near the junctions of three Indian trails-Browns Ferry Road, South River Road, and Black Warriors’ Path

After Cherokee Chief Black Fox’s death, his son, who is identified as Black Fox II, ran the stand.  During the time that General John Coffee was surveying the Indian boundary lines for the Turkey Town Treaty, Black Fox II operated the trading post in Lawrence County, Alabama; his name appears on documents after the death of his father in 1811.  John Coffee put the following note in his diary, 26th July, 1816.  Borrowed Capt. Hammond’s large tent- left my old one – breakfasted with the Captain.  Started on and got to Wilders where I dined, Bought corn to carry with me – bill $1.50.  Went to the river – crossed at Brown’s Ferry – paid ferriage & c $1.25.  Hired young Wilder to go on to Col. Barnett & c.  This night went to Black Foxe’s and lay all night; bought _ bushels of corn to carry with me.  Hired ____ Lancaster to carry six bushels to Major Russell’s, for which I am to pay three and half dollars –bought some salt from Fox, hired him and McClure to carry the corn to the wagon road about two miles – paid bill at Fox’s $6.75.” Coffee continued on to Major William Russell’s settlement to survey the Indian boundary lines; Russell’s home was the present-day City of Russellville, Alabama.

Coffee’s notes continue, 1st August 1816.  This morning we start in towards Madison County – lay all night at the Path Killer’s creek near Jones’.  2d August.  This morning we hired Vanpelt to carry letters to Col. Brown inviting him to meet us as Campbell’s Ferry on the 12th.  Come to the Black Fox’es – bought 2 1/2   bushels corn – paid the bill $1.75 –Same day came on – crossed the Tennessee River at Brown’s Ferry and came to Wilders where we lay all night.”  After the Turkey Town Treaty of September 1816 took the Cherokee lands in Franklin, Lawrence, and Morgan Counties of North Alabama, the young Black Fox II moved into the northeastern part of Alabama; he lived in this portion of the state that remained in the Cherokee Nation until 1838.  

No comments:

Post a Comment